Quinta da Cruz, built between the XVth and the XVIIth century, is an representative example of rustic architecture of the traditional residences of famous families of Algarve.
In accordance with the tradition of the rural XVth century house of Algarve, it was initially on one level before a second floor would be built later. Its tiled roofs with several slopes are typical, and end in a shape of dome which shelters a chapel.
This private chapel was devoted in 1791 by the bishop of Algarve D. Francisco Gomes Avelar.
Quinta da Cruz belonged to the family Mascarenhas Neto and, like the other houses of the farm, had an important role in the local economy thanks to its oil mill.
Its well fed the water of the village of Alcantarilha during centuries.
According to a local myth, a secret door at the bottom of the well, unabled to escape the invasion of pirates, frequent at that time.